With the ongoing globalization, the need for software to be available in various languages and cultures is growing as well. To attain this, the software needs to be tested suitably. It is known as localization testing. This article covers everything you need to know about software localization testing. So, just keep reading.
What do we mean by localized Testing?
Localization testing or software testing can be performed to understand and verify the quality of a product for a particular locale. Localization tests should be done by a reliable localization testing company and can be performed only on the local version of the product. That means testing ensures that the software is ready to be used in a specific region. The testing procedure includes testing language vocabulary, user interface, time and date format, and currency format that apply to the specific region.
What are the Features of localization Testing?
Here are the key factors that a team at a good localization testing company focuses at:
1. Localized Content
Localization tests are performed to inspect whether the product is comfortable and agreeable for people of a specific region. It is done because various contents should be in accordance with the local culture. The first step is to ensure that the content used is completely localized. Depending on the software type, languages may be set as per the user’s choice. While localizing the content, consider number formats, phone numbers, address formats, clothing & shoe sizing, currencies and measurements, personal data, etc. Note that the culture of every country is different, and so is their shopping style. Thus, localization should be done keeping these factors in mind. And during the localization testing process, the team ensures that no errors were left.
2. Language Specifics
There is one more point that is kind of similar to the previous one, yet, we would like to mention it separately. The test is all about checking whether the language the software supports is also compatible with the language of a specific region or not. The team will also check if the content was translated correctly. Some mistakes may happen due to the lack of context. Some words may have several meanings, and the testers should ensure that the correct one was chosen.
3. User Interference
The next main area to focus on is UI (User Interference). Essential things to consider are the images and the layouts. The user interface is created in a typical way, that the people of a specific region should be comfortable using the product. The images should be localized as well. For example, the pictures for Asian, Arab, and European markets will be different. Also, you need to ensure that the texts appear in the right place in UI. For example, a localized text might take up less or more space compared to the initial text. Moreover, if you have right-to-left software and the localized one is left-to-right, you need to ensure that the buttons and text fields are in the correct places. An experienced localization testing company excludes such overlaps or mistakes of such types.
4. Functionality Check
Functionality testing is the ultimate crucial step in the localization testing process. A locally translated software will be of no good if the product does not work flawlessly. The following things to be covered while checking functionality may include:
- The software should be localized easily, so the user will be able to change the language smoothly from the menu.
- Hyperlinks in the product lead to the right places. The content there should also be in the localized language.
- The shortcuts and hotkeys function accurately.
- The products should be compatible with the particular operating systems.
- Regardless of languages, all functionality should work efficiently.
- Local payment means working in the target locale and working right.
Processes involved in localization Testing
A localization testing company generally follows the following processes:
1.The Yesting Eenvironment Setup:
Setting up a testing environment is done in order to achieve a quality testing process. It helps to get a good quality testing process for the software.
2. Choosing the Product and Creating the Tam:
The product for testing needs to be chosen. After that, the agency creates a team, depending on the locales and other requirements for the project. It guides the localization testing to be product-oriented.
3. Generating the Script:
A script in accordance with a specific culture and region is generated. For example, if the application is the US specific, the team chooses the English but the US type.
The comparison between the local attributes and the in-built attributes is tested to monitor the quality of the software. For example, a language or user interface is compared for region-specific comparability.
5. Result and Analysis:
Analyzing the process of comparison testing is carried out to acknowledge whether it was successfully done or not. The results are then submitted to the software development team with regard to the various aspects of the app.
Of course, every localization testing company is different, and they may have different cicles, we mentioned the most common ones.
What are the Advantages of localization Testing?
- Localization testing helps in reducing the overall inspection or testing cost. Though initially, it may incur additional expenses as well as time for repairing, it helps to prevent more complicated issues in the future.
- Localization testing helps in reducing the support cost. It reduces the number of difficulties the regional clients often have with the product.
- Localization testing helps to reduce the testing time or span. Localization testing is an easy way to reduce the overall testing time.
- Localization testing brings more scalability and flexibility.
- Localization testing will provide a greater reach (i.e. expansion of the user base). And one’s user base will improve a lot when a business enters a new market with quality and appropriate localized products.
- Enhance the brand’s popularity to a great extent.
What are some Drawbacks of localization Testing?
- Localization testing will require an expert (who should be local) to perform the tests.
- Localization testing requires a local translator, which can be very expensive.
- Localization testing might offer scheduled challenges along with it to the tester.
Though localization testing might look complicated, an experienced localization testing agency knows all the skillsets to get the job done. The team has enough expertise in the field to handle any challenges that come on the way. Initially, it might incur some costs, but it will help a business grow and gain long-term profits.